Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is a sex hormone created from testosterone and the human body produces it naturally. This hormone isn't specific to men and is produced in women's bodies as well. Why then is it better known as a male hormone? This can be explained by the fact that it is derived from testosterone and is present in larger quantities in males.
Importance of DHT
DHT stimulates male characteristics like body hair, muscle growth, and a deep voice. It is important for fertility too and is a prominent factor in sex drive. DHT is responsible for regulating a number of functions in the male body, which is why low levels of this hormone tend to impact men significantly. However, a few women can experience symptoms of low DHT as well.
Main Symptoms Of Low DHT
- Difficulty Increasing And Maintaining Muscle Mass- Low DHT has a negative impact on muscle building and lean mass maintenance. Its effect is felt in loss of strength necessary in engaging in sports and athletics. Both, young men and women experience difficulty in building as well as retaining muscle mass. Consequently, this can lead to an increase in body fat.
- Reduced Sex Drive- Reduced sex drive is one of the most noticeable symptoms of low DHT. The growth of the sex organs depends on DHT and is intrinsic to the functioning of the libido. With DHT being one of the main sex hormones, along with testosterone and estrogen, low levels of this hormone can drastically lower a person's sex drive.
- Hair Loss- Low DHT levels just like higher levels can be one of the probable causes of hair loss.
- Impacts Mental Wellness- DHT acts as a critical factor in the functioning of the brain at its highest level. Therefore low levels can cause mental health problems.
- Psychological Problems- Low mood is linked to low DHT levels, and is reflected in symptoms such as mood swings, depression, irritability, lack of motivation, grumpiness, lethargy, low trigger point for annoyance etc.
Treatment For Low DHT
While excessively high DHT levels can be detrimental to overall health and result in hair loss as well, it's important that the body has the right levels of this hormone. If you have noticed any of the symptoms of low DHT, it's important to take proper measures to increase these levels.
The first step is to schedule a consultation with your doctor. The doctor will advise a blood test to ascertain whether low levels of this hormone is causing the symptoms. He will suggest remedial measures to restore the hormone balance and to raise low DHT. Let's take a look at some of these measures:
- Supplements for boost DHT
- Treatments such as hormone therapy (utilizing testosterone)
Introduce Lifestyle Changes
Lifestyle changes on a sustainable basis are found to be effective in restoring and maintaining hormonal balance. Here are some of the lifestyle changes you can focus on:
- Start exercising and losing weight to enable your body to maintain a good amount of testosterone.
- Cut down on alcohol consumption or eliminate it if possible.
- Eat nutritious food and include healthier fats like nuts, olive oil, seeds etc. in your daily diet.
- Supplement your diet with a high-quality multivitamin to boost the natural production of testosterone.
- Ensure you get a sound sleep for 7-10 hours every night. Research indicates that more sleep raises testosterone levels.
Experiment With Organic Foods
Organic foods score over inorganic foods in boosting DHT levels due to the absence of chemicals. Regular fruits, vegetables, and grains that we consume daily are sprayed with all kinds of chemicals like pesticides, herbicides etc. for preservation and better appearance.
These chemicals are not only harmful to the health but also block the production of androgen and hamper receptor activity. Eliminating organic foods prevents this from occurring and contributes to elevated DHT levels.
While DHT is often considered to be a harmful hormone that doesn't really serve any function in the body, this couldn't be further from the truth. Having a healthy body and healthy hair growth is about maintaining the right DHT levels in your body.
If you have thinning hair, consider using natural keratin fibers such as Hair 2.0. The special formulation binds with your hair, providing it with some much-needed volume and texture. If you want to know more, contact our customer care for queries or browse through our website for information on different products.